King Arthur Pendragon

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Are Kobolds... Dogs?

One odd thing I noticed, that was already discussed at length in several forums, is that kobolds are depicted as dog-like creatures of small stature in the B/X rules. This same description is carried to the Mentzer basic set. However, the Monster Manual published in 1977 is somewhat different. Here's the complete description:

"The hide of kobolds runs from very dark rusty brown to a rusty black. They have no hair. Their eyes are reddish and their small horns are tan to white."

This suggests a demonic imagery of sorts. I don't know if this was intentional or the result of some other editorial decision, but it further set apart the two game lines: D&D and AD&D, although, truth be told, the Monster Manual is completely compatible with the former rules.

1 comment:

Vitor said...

From my many contacts with that yapping nuisance mainly from computer games, I came to find hints of a draconic relation or ancestry. However I only found a vague reference, kind of a legend, from http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Kobold

Well, Eberron is a new setting and I keep it as a kind of (too much) exotic, so I really can't say this is a good reference. But can't deny either that it could explain some things...like the horns.